BlogLovin' Teachers Pay Teachers Email Pinterest Facebook Image Map

Saturday, March 5, 2016

Five for Fraturday

Happy Saturday!  I'm back to link up with Doodle Bugs Teaching and share five things from this week.  



I love Dr. Seuss' birthday week, don't you? This week our school celebrated Read Across America week. My kids loved it!

I'm cheating a little bit because I forgot to take a selfie this time. The photo is from last year, but, of course, I had to wear my Cat in the Hat outfit again. 



Our lovely school nurse, Mrs. A. came in and read to my class on Friday.  She read the book, Inside Your Outside: All About the Human Body from the Dr. Seuss Learning Library.She had the kids rhyming right along with the text and made learning about the human body fun. We're lucky to have a school nurse who's a fantastic teacher, too.


We also had a visit from our local theme park. The Carowinds Reading Program sent a reader and a surprise guest. They were also kind enough to give each of our students a bookmark with a free pass to Carowinds attached to it. The kids absolutely went bonkers - in a good way. 



Wednesday was Wacky Wednesday, of course.  We spent a lot of way too much reading time looking for all the crazy things in the illustrations, but the kids loved it! Afterward, we did some critical thinking and writing about the book, so that made the time spent worthwhile.





Ultra mega mega fun, indeed.

I very sneakily planned some social skills lessons this week, too.  Last week, we had worked on determining the lesson or moral of a fable.  This week, I used some modern-day fables written by Dr. Seuss to talk about accepting differences (The Sneetches) and compromising with others (The Zax). Both of these great stories can be found in The Sneetches and Other Stories by Dr. Seuss.


That's it for this week. Make sure you check out all the great Five for Friday posts from my fellow bloggers. And don't forget to check my blog on Monday for this month's Math Tip Monday post. I'll share some ideas for connecting math and poetry in the primary grades.

No comments:

Post a Comment