Friday, January 1, 2016

Happy 2016! My Goals for an Amazing Year!

Happy New Year!

I can't believe it's 2016 already! I decided to join Stephanie from Mrs. D's Corner again in setting some goals for the year.

I'm starting the new year off right: sitting on the couch and watching my Florida Gators take on Michigan in the Citrus Bowl. Go Gators!

I'm also thinking about the goals I made last December


As usual with my New Year's Resolutions, I had only moderate success. I definitely need to refocus on my living healthy goal. While I continued to cut back on processed foods and have meatless Mondays, I still have room for improvement as I work toward a healthier lifestyle. I wrote 32 blog posts in 2015, which was a vast improvement over 2014's 11 posts.  My goal to stop planning on Sundays is impossible very difficult to achieve. I'll have to set up some new routines to reach that one in 2016. Organization...ummm, yeah. Let's just agree not to discuss that. My workshop goals are always a work in progress. I'll be revising and reteaching when we get back to school on Monday. And I'm still committed to making sure learning is fun for my students. Overall, these are ongoing and long-term goals that I'll probably still be working toward when I retire!

So, what about this year?

I love the format for this year's goals.  Hopefully, I'll do a better job achieving them!




A good deed I'm going to do: As I get older, kindness has become an increasingly important trait to me. With everything that's going on in the world, I think it's even more urgent to notice, encourage, and teach kindness. I'll continue to use my Hearts Full of Kindness activities and my Kind and Caring Classroom poems in my classroom. I'll also share acts of kindness on my blog, Facebook page, and Instagram. I'd love to hear about acts of kindness from others. Please join me in sharing them!

A new skill I'd like to learn: I've always loved drawing and painting. Now I'd like to learn the technical skills for creating clipart. Any suggestions for good programs or tutorials?

A book I'd like to read: I'm an avid reader and, happily, I received a couple of Barnes and Noble gift cards for Christmas this year. I was able to pick up I Am Malala last week. I'm so looking forward to reading it. I truly admire this young Nobel Peace Prize winner and I've heard wonderful things about the book. My sister bought me Humans of New York Stories. I started reading and found it so hard to put down! I've been a follower of the website for a while now. I've been so inspired and touched by the stories. If you haven't followed it yet, you're missing out.

A bad habit I'm going to break: This one is hard for me. I'm not a morning person and I tend to lose track of time. I usually get to work on time, but I definitely don't leave a cushion for unexpected delays. I also would love to have a little time to get my thoughts together before my students start to arrive. Even getting to school 15 minutes earlier would help.  Does anyone else struggle with this?

I'm going to do better at: I have so many ideas for products and blog posts. What I don't have is time. Well, this year, I need to make time.  I'm going to work on TPT stuff on a more regular basis. That means I need to actually schedule time to do so. I want to finish several works in progress. That also means making time to post regularly on my blog. I want to share my thoughts and ideas with other teachers. I want to share activities and strategies that work for my students. I'd like to give readers a reason to visit my blog on a regular basis.  That means I need to be more consistent and post more quality content. So, sleeping is optional, right? :)

A person I hope to be more like: I thought of a number of people who I admire, many of whom have very different qualities. I think, instead of picking one, I'll just focus on myself - accepting who I am and striving to be a better person every day.  It's a hard enough task without comparing myself to others.  

I'd love to read about your goals for the new year. Share in the comments or link up at Mrs. D's Corner.

Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment