Sunday, June 21, 2015

TpT Seller Challenge Week 1: Makeover Madness!

I have so many things on my to-do list for my Teachers pay Teachers store this summer! Luckily, I decided to take part in the TpT Seller Challenge hosted by Teach Create Motivate, Third in Hollywood, Peppy Zesty Teacherista, and Sparkling in Second. The Challenge helped both to motivate me to get started and gave me an idea where to start. I decided to begin by updating my best-selling Poem of the Week products. Because these products are part of a bundle, I needed to update them all at once.  I gave each of the covers a facelift. Since I absolutely love the clip art and font that I used, I didn't see any need to change those, but I did want to make the covers pop more. I also needed to change the logo to match the new one that Blogs Fit for a Queen designed for me! Finally, I made some needed additions and changes to the products themselves.

Here are the details about my Makeover.  

As you can see, I didn't make any major changes to the covers.  I changed some colors. Then, I enlarged the font and the clip art to make the cover more eye-catching and reduce the amount of blank space.

More importantly, I took the opportunity to add two new poems to this packet.  One of the poems, My Friend is Doing Wrong, addresses the issue of peer pressure. Since I had several students who were excusing their own behavior by blaming a classmate, I felt this was a needed topic of discussion. The other poem was written because I welcomed a new student to our class. The New Kid encourages empathy and helps students to think about how they can welcome new students.

 My Science Poems did not need any major revisions. Again, I enlarged the font and clip art to make the cover "pop!" I also corrected the page number locations in my mini-book and added directions for making the book.

I also added some pictures and directions for using the I Can Be a Scientist poem at the beginning of the school year.  

I had already added a poem and stationery to this packet for President's Day.  But I had not uploaded the new version to the Bundle yet.  So, after tweaking the cover page and making some minor changes to the format of my Fourth of July poem, it was ready for an overdue upload.

Just curious, is anyone still in school around the Fourth of July?  I thought the poem would be great to use during a summer reading program or in summer school.  If you have used that one, I'd love to hear how and where. 

Finally, I spent a day upgrading my Fall Poems and Activities.  I added another poem, I Am Thankful, to use before Thanksgiving. I also thought this would be a great opportunity for a poetry connection, so I added some stationery for student poetry writing. One is for an acrostic poem; the other allows for student choice in their poetry writing.

As I was working on this one, it occurred to me that the primary-lined writing paper does not allow much room for our older students' writing. To solve that problem, I added stationery that has single lines for use in 2nd and 3rd grade.

I love the look of my new covers!  I'm also happy I was able to make some much needed changes to the products themselves. Please redownload if you've previously purchased these products from me.  If you don't have any of my Poem of the Week products, I hope you'll consider starting a Poem of the Week program in your classroom. If you need more details, check out my post here.  If you need poems, check out my Poem of the Week products including my freebie, Poem of the Week: Resources for Getting Started.

So, that's it. Now I can cross one thing off my To-Do list!  Yay!

I can't wait for the next challenge from these awesome ladies!

Until then,


  1. I think your covers definitely POP! Your poems sound like great teaching tools. :-)

    The Craft of Teaching

  2. Your makeovers all look so great!!!! This makeover challenge has really been super for reflecting on our products! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Heather :)
    Recipe for Teaching