Sunday, July 13, 2014

Guided Math In Action Book Study Kick-off!

I'm excited to be taking part in my very first blog-based book study!  It's being hosted by the wonderful Courtney and Sarah at their new blog, Adventures in Guided Math.



The book we'll be reading will be Guided Math in Action by Dr. Nicki Newton.  I'm excited about reading it and learning with other teachers who want to implement Guided Math in their classrooms.  To be honest, I've tried to implement it for the past couple of years, but it's been a bit hit and miss.  It's difficult to try a new program by yourself, and the teachers I've been working with were more comfortable teaching in whole group settings.  So, when I ran into difficulty, like how to manage the other students, how to fit it into my math block, how to plan specific lessons that targeted both the math objective and the student needs, well...let's just say, my implementation was rather inconsistent.  I'm really looking forward to having the support of other teachers as I give it another try next year.

If you haven't bought your book yet, it is available in Kindle or Paperback version on Amazon.com. We'll start discussing the book on Wednesday, but you're welcome to join anytime.

Here's the schedule we'll be following:


I'll be posting here to reflect on each chapter and how I see it transforming my teaching.  I'm looking forward to reading comments and reflections by other teachers on their blogs and in the comments sections of each of our posts.  You're invited to comment on my posts.  I can't wait to collaborate with you all!



1 comment:

  1. Great post, Theresa! Thanks for sharing your experiences so far with guided math. :0) Looking forward to all of the sharing!

    Smiles,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete