BlogLovin' Teachers Pay Teachers Email Pinterest Facebook Image Map

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Exploring Number Patterns Using Hundred Charts

First Graders need to become familiar with the counting sequence, to understand tens and ones, and to fluently add and subtract multiples of ten.  One of the ways I help my students become familiar with all of these concepts is to work with hundred charts or one hundred twenty charts in a variety of ways.  This week, my students were hard at work learning these concepts.

Students used hundred chart puzzles to reinforce knowledge of number patterns. 

I copied a hundred chart onto ten different colors of cardstock.  Using the different colors helps with organization and prevents pieces of different puzzles getting mixed together.  You could also use construction paper, but I've found that cardstock lasts longer.

Next, I cut away the excess border and then cut the hundred board into various sized pieces, keeping all of the numbers intact.
I don't laminate these.  Laminating would make them last longer, but they actually make it harder for the students to work with.  Once the puzzle pieces start looking worn, I just make new sets.

After cutting out the pieces, I place each puzzle into a plastic baggie. Then I place them in a center for students to put together.


My students love these. As soon as they are done with one puzzle, they quickly grab another.  Since the level of difficulty varies with each puzzle, students find some puzzles more difficult than others.  I always have them check their work by counting to 100.



We also use commercially created hundred chart activities.

Students practice the counting sequence when they have to refill a pocket chart and put the numbers in the correct pockets.

These hundred boards help my students practice counting as well as matching two-digit numbers.  Yesterday, one of my students turned over all the tiles so that only the white side was showing.  (I'm sorry I didn't grab a picture of that one.) She asked the other students in the group to identify what number was on the other side of the tile.  The students had to use their knowledge of numbers and number patterns to guess the right number.  I love it when students make up their own math games.
 Students used the hundred chart or their 120 Chart to help them solve problems on task cards.  They were adding and subtracting multiples of ten.  They recorded their answers in their math journals.  It was easy to check for understanding as I walked by this group.
During morning work time, all students filled out their own 120 Chart. They were able to save these as a resource in their math notebooks.  I loved seeing the students help each other find and fix mistakes before we put them away.
 Now that they've been working with numbers up to 120 by using these charts, I see my students becoming more and more comfortable with number patterns.  One of my mini-lessons this week involved adding multiples of ten using a number line.  Several students immediately made the connection between the number line and counting by tens "off the decade."  It's great when you see that deep understanding of a concept!

How do you help your students with these concepts?  Please share your ideas and resources in the comments.

You can get my One Hundred Twenty Charts: Winter Theme in my TPT store.





1 comment: